The state of the World as seen through an unscientific sample of links
Let us observe the state of the world.
Britain is now officially a totalitarian society according to this article here
. (h/t prester_scott
- The Government is pushing ahead with legislation that will criminalise politically incorrect jokes, with a maximum punishment of up to seven years' prison.
- Countryside Restoration Trust chairman and columnist Robin Page said at a rally against the Government's anti-hunting laws in Gloucestershire in 2002: "If you are a black vegetarian Muslim asylum-seeking one-legged lesbian lorry driver, I want the same rights as you." Page was arrested, and after four months he received a letter saying no charges would be pressed, but that: "If further evidence comes to our attention whereby your involvement is implicated, we will seek to initiate proceedings." It took him five years to clear his name.
- In September 2006, a 14-year-old schoolgirl, Codie Stott, asked a teacher if she could sit with another group to do a science project as all the girls with her spoke only Urdu. The teacher called the police and a few days later, presumably after officialdom had thought the matter over, she was arrested and taken to a police station, where she was fingerprinted and photographed and placed in a cell for 3 hours.
- A 10-year-old child was arrested and brought before a judge, for having allegedly called an 11-year-old boya "Paki" and "bin Laden" during a playground argument at a primary school (the other boy had called him a skunk and a Teletubby).
- Hate-crime police investigated Basil Brush, a puppet fox on children's television, who had made a joke about Gypsies.
- A bishop was warned by the police for not having done enough to "celebrate diversity", the enforcing of which is now apparently a police function.
- A Christian home for retired clergy and religious workers lost a grant because it would not reveal to official snoopers how many of the residents were homosexual. That they had never been asked was taken as evidence of homophobia.
- Muslim parents who objected to young children being given books advocating same-sex marriage and adoption at one school last year had their wishes respected and the offending material withdrawn. This year, Muslim and Christian parents at another school objecting to the same material have not only had their objections ignored but have been threatened with prosecution if they withdraw their children.
As a personal aside, I just saw the movie V FOR VENDETTA. In that fictional depiction of Margaret Thatcher's Britain, it was the conservative Christians, those ancient foes of love and freedom, who were hauling away the homosexuals to gulag. The contrast with the reality, where Progressives haul away nonperverts for thoughtcrime is striking and instructive. England Prevails.
In Germany, meanwhile, an
enemy of humanity
artist poses human corpses in postures of copulation, called "Copulation Art." I notice that this offends no principle of the hedonist or utilitarian philosophy, nor can Objectivists mount a coherent argument against the practice. The article is here
. (h/t theofloinn)
In Louisiana, a man was reportedly detained by local police for no other reason than having a "Don't Tread On Me" sticker on his vehicle
. (h/t prester_scott
) That this trails in the wake of a notorious and shameful DHS memorandum
warning police against returning veterans, pro-gunners, pro-lifers, and pro-border-controllers, is perhaps no coincidence.
In Maui, a lesbian couple just married a man, with the polygamous trio defending their desecration of marriage using the same arguments and legal precedent as defend the homosexual desecration of marriage. I notice that this offends no principle of the hedonist or utilitarian philosophy, nor can Objectivists mount a coherent argument against the practice. The article is here
. (h/t theofloinn)
In personal news, I just got out of the hospital and back into the outside world. Strangely, I now wonder whether it is not the outside world where the sick people are kept.